Latest Zimbabwe News

Couple Killed Over Allegations Of Witchcraft

Couple Killed

Couple Killed Over Allegations Of Witchcraft:

In a tragic turn of events, a couple from Mhondoro was killed by a close family relative over witchcraft allegations.

The accused, Freddy Makanganya (45) who resides in Denya Village is alleged to have killed Tabeth Chiumba (71) and her husband Tayero Santumiya (72) after accusing Chiumba of bewitching him.

According to iHarare, Mashonaland West Provincial Police Spokesperson Inspector, Margaret Chitove confirmed the unfortunate incident which happened in Denya Village, Chief Chivero in Mhondoro.

It is recorded that on the 1st of April 2021, around 9 pm  Makanganya returned home drunk from Nyamweda business centre and started shouting that he wanted to beat up Chiumba because she was a witch who had goblins.

The accused allegedly took an axe and knobkerrie and went to Chiumba’s homestead where he assaulted Santumiya.

Santumiya managed to escape and left  Makanganya assaulting his wife, all over her body with a knobkerrie.

Wensecelous Katsamba (43) and Tendai Makanganya (39) who heard her plea for help arrived at the scene and tried to refrain the accused, but they failed and fled as the accused had an axe.

Katsamba and Tendai Makanganya, returned with the accused’s aunt, Mariana Makanganya (58).

The trio found Makanganya accusing Chiumba of being a witch, demanding that she release the items which she used for her witchcraft.

Makanganya’s aunt intervened and managed to restrain Makanganya from further assaulting Chiumba.  After the attack, Makanganya reportedly disappeared in the dead of the night.

The next day, at around 5 am, Chiumba, unfortunately, succumbed to her injuries.

Her body had a deep cut above the left ear and bruises all over her body. The body was ferried to Norton district hospital for a post mortem.

Meanwhile, following Chiumba’s death, a search was made for Santumiya and he was found on April 3, at around 10 am, by the accused’s brother, Fanuel Makanganya (59) lying in agony in a maize field, about 50 metres from his homestead.

Makanganya is believed to have further assaulted Santumiya before he fled and went into hiding.

A report was made to the police who attended to the scene. Santumiya was ferried to Norton district hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Inspector Chitove revealed that his body had deep cuts on both legs and his hands were swollen and had bruises at the back.

Santumiya’s body was conveyed at Norton district hospital for a post mortem.

Inspector Chitove bemoaned the grisly murders and advised members of the public to resolve their differences amicably. He also appealed to members of the public who might have information on Makanganya’s whereabouts to report to the nearest police station.

Also Read:

Exit mobile version